HURRICANE HIGH SCHOOL HISTORY
345 West Tiger Blvd. (formerly 100 South)
Hurricane, UT 84737
High school instruction in Hurricane began in September of 1918, but grew very slowly until 1928. Classes were held in the old Hurricane Elementary School building. Between 1917 and 1936, Hurricane Elementary School
and Hurricane High School had the same principal and building. Hurricane’s first high school class graduated in the 1927-1928 school year.
A two-story red brick high school building was built during the Great Depression with help from the federal government’s Works Progress Administration (WPA). The building was started in the fall of 1935 and was
finished in November of 1936 at a cost of $100,000. Classes began in the new building after the Thanksgiving break in 1936. For a description of this building, click here.
In 1969, a new Fine Arts Building was added to the campus. In 1974, a new gymnasium and three classrooms were completed at the current high school site, the first phase of construction of the current facilities. Students
walked between the old high school building and the new building for classes. In 1978, classrooms and a cafeteria were added, and grades 9-12 moved to the new building. The old building remained in use for other
grades until it was demolished in the spring of 2004. A new auditorium, auxiliary gym, and administrative office areas were added in 1996. In 2001, a science hall was added and named for the outgoing principal, Robert
The school’s enrollment continues to grow and has forced a new expansion/remodel of the existing building. Most of the old high school building, with the exception of some of the newest parts of the old, was torn down to build the current beautiful new building. It was completed in 2012. The new building has three stories.
Vivian Decker (1917-1918) ???
A. L. Winsor (1918-1919)
H. Val Hafen (1919-1921)
Willard O. Nisson (1921-1924)
Lorenzo Parker (1924-1928) First Principal of HHS 1927-1928
Milton E. Moody (1928-1929)
Glenn E. Snow (1929-1932)
Leeman Bennett (1932-1938)
Maurice Nuttal (1938-1958)
J. Ordean Washburn (1958-1961)
David R. Pearce (1961-1969)
Wayne Edwards (1969-1983)
Harold Tenney (1983-1985)
Rob Goulding (1985-2001)
Roy Hoyt (2001-2008)
Kevin Pedersen (2008-2012)
Jody Rich (2012-2018)
Darin Thomas (2018-Present)
Note: Between the 1917 and 1936, Hurricane Elementary School and Hurricane High School had the same
principal and building.
Hurricane High School
Hurricane High School Shop Building
Hurricane Library with the High School in the background
Washington County D.U.P., “ Under Dixie Sun – A History of Washington County“
pp. 407, 411-414
1978 Supplement, pp. 16
Grand Opening For Hurricane Hi Slated For Friday, Nov. 6, 1936
Article in the Washington County News, October 29, 1936, Pages 1 and 9
Many of the Hurricane High School yearbooks are online at
You must register to see them, but registration is free.